Ready to leave winter behind, open the windows, and enjoy the outdoors? Here are our top three priorities to get your home ready for an enjoyable Minneapolis summer:
- Keep the dirt out: Doormats are your first line of defense from tracking dirt and allergens into your home. Keep doormats at their best by giving them a good hose-down. If needed, brush them with just a bit of detergent, then air-dry. They’ll be clean and ready to welcome your guests to your home.
- Freshen carpets: After a long, slushy winter your carpets have been put to the test. With dirt, grime and ice salt interlocked within the fibers, carpets need deep cleaning. Vacuum thoroughly, especially by doors and high traffic areas. An extraction machine from a rental company helps deep clean synthetic carpets. Test a few drops of the cleaning solution in a saucer with a hair dryer—if sticky residue remains, use a different cleaner. Use fans and/or the air conditioner to thoroughly dry carpets before replacing furniture.
- Declutter: Nothing gets us down like clutter. Whether it’s lurking in the garage, closets or basement, those piles pull us down. Start simply, with one room. Use the four-pile tactic: Donate, Toss, Use, and Store. Safely store sentimental objects or antiques that simply don’t fit your lifestyle by reserving a clean, handy, temperature- controlled Acorn Mini Storage unit. Your items will be safe, dry, and accessible 24/7—and not filling your home. You never know, maybe your kids will furnish their dorm room or first home with these priceless possessions one day.
A good spring cleaning will freshen your home and brighten your spirits. Make sure to give your local Twin Cities Acorn Mini Storage a call to help you make the most of the season.
With the warm weather finally here, you probably don’t want to spend one more moment with the winter clothes you’ve been wearing for so many months. But, taking time to properly store them helps you feel more organized, reduces clutter, and makes for an easy transition next season. Here are four quick tips to help you keep your clothes in pristine condition during the summer months:
- Empty out all of your pockets—you just might find a $20 lurking there, and you will prevent damage from forgotten candy, pens, and pencils. Check for loose buttons, open seams, rips or tears. Taking care of these minor repairs now means your clothes will be ready to wear next season.
- Wash or dry clean each item. Body oil, sweat, perfume, and food particles can create stains that will become more difficult to remove next year. Also, clean your storage containers to prevent any potential bug infestation—a moth’s larvae are unnoticeable to the human eye.
- Ideally, store clothing in cloth bags that ‘breath’—moth larvae love plastic tubs, and bugs are attracted to boxes. Fold rather than hang knitted items, like sweaters, to maintain their shape. Add a natural cedar block or bag of cedar shavings to each container to help repel bugs and keep clothes smelling fresh.
- The best place to store your clothes for an extended period of time is a clean, cool, dark, and dry environment. Avoid storing your clothes in cold, damp basements or warm, humid attics. Acorn Mini Storage provides temperature-controlled units that keep your clothing clean, secure, and always accessible.
For all of your winter storage needs, click here to find the Acorn Mini Storage near your home or business today.
What does home mean to you? New or old, modern or traditional, permanent or temporary, we each find our own way to create a warm and comfortable home wherever we are. At Acorn Mini Storage, we’ve been helping Twin Cities’ residents use self-storage to keep their homes organized and beautiful for over 25 years.
Here in our blog, you’ll find a wealth of ideas for your home–storage tips, ideas for making the most of your living space, and expert advice on preparing for Minnesota’s diverse seasons. Whether you’re storing antiques and keepsakes from your childhood home, or clearing out space for a new office or workroom, you’ll find industry-leading knowledge to make the most of the spaces you enjoy.
And if a move is in your future, you’ll find ideas and tips to help take the stress out of moving. We’ll help you learn how to properly prepare your furniture, appliances, artwork, and valuables for a move across town, or across the country. And we will give you tips and advice to help simplify the moving process.
No matter the circumstances that leave you needing additional space, the professionals at your local Acorn Mini Storage are here to help you. Contact the location nearest you or call us at 612-767-3953.