Do You Need Climate Controlled Storage?
Standard storage spaces are neither heated nor cooled, which means your goods will generally experience the same outdoor temperature and humidity within standard storage units. Acorn Mini Storage’s climate controlled storage spaces are both heated and cooled, which also passively controls humidity. The temperature is regulated between 55 and 80 degrees. Heating and cooling the storage space helps to control rapid changes in temperature and humidity which can damage many types of stored goods.
One of the first questions to ask yourself when you are considering storage is: ‘Do I need climate controlled or standard storage?’
To answer that question you may wish to consider the following:
- How long will you be storing your goods? If you are storing for a short period of time the benefits of climate controlled space are less important. If you need storage for a weekend or a week or two then a standard space might work for you and be a more economical choice. However, for extended periods of months or years you may wish to consider the benefits of climate controlled space.
- Does the city or region where you are storing your goods experience extremes of heat and cold? Significant fluctuations in humidity or dryness of air? If so, a climate controlled space will provide a higher level of protection for your goods. Candles can melt when exposed to high levels of heat, glass and plastics become brittle in the cold and high levels of humidity can cause corrosion and oxidation on untreated metals and electronic equipment & devices.
- Climate controlled units all open to the inside of a building providing a greater level of protection from dust, condensation, insects, etc. It’s similar to the difference between storing something in a room in your home compared to storing something in your garage. It’s safe and dry in your garage but simply not protected to the same level as if it were in a heated and air-conditioned room inside a building.
- Goods that are placed in climate controlled storage do not face the constant fluctuation in temperature and humidity experienced in standard storage. Even if the outside temperature is not freezing every day, as in the spring and fall, large swings in temperature can damage sensitive and delicate items such as antique furniture, family heirlooms, electronic equipment & devices and musical instruments, particularly pianos. Furniture, musical instruments and antiques can crack, split or delaminate from a constant cycle of freezing and thawing. Outside dirt and dust are less likely to be transferred indoors, which helps to protect fragile antiques, furniture, sensitive musical instruments and electronic equipment.
- Be sure to ask when calling storage companies whether or not they offer climate controlled storage; do not assume that all locations offer this feature. Climate controlled storage is generally more expensive than standard storage, but not all storage companies offer this option.